Sunday 17 May 2020

Giving Birth - While The World Is On Lock down // Violet's Birth Story


Hello darlings, 

I know its been a while, longer than normal since i last wrote a post. But a lot of exciting things have been happening! I don't think i announced on my blog that i was expecting my second child. Baby Violet made her appearance on April 26th at 4:55am weighing 6lb 5oz (2.8kg) and i thought i would share my experience on giving birth while the world is on lock down due to Covid-19 in case there are any mums to be that are worrying or have questions about it. 
I know when i was pregnant i felt this suddenly wasn't a good time to be having a baby but you can't put a pause on it! I got sent home from work at 33 weeks pregnant about 3 weeks before i was due to go on maternity leave. I had mixed feeling about being at home. On one hand it was amazing, it was for my own safety (and baby's), i had extra maternity leave (on full pay, woo!) and i got to have more time with my son Isaac (3 years old) before we had his sister join us. But on the other hand it felt like i'd been sacked which i know is weird, but its was so sudden and i didn't get a chance to say goodbye to anyone, i didn't think that would be my last day and i haven't been back to work since. I also haven't really seen anyone since either, which has been hard.

I've decided to split this post into categories to make it easier to read :) 

Appointments:
The last few appointments of my pregnancy were a little different, i had to attend alone. Both the my local surgery and the hospital, my partner wasn't allowed in, which was sad. But i understand why, its all done for our safety, both ours and theirs. Midwifes wore PPE but other than that it was the same as normal. Same examinations and listening to the baby's heartbeat. I think if this was my first pregnancy it would have affected me more as i know that, at least in my local hospital, partners and family are not allowed in for the 12 and 20 week scan. Which is a big part of your pregnancy seeing you baby together on the screen. Seeing them move and finding out gender.  


Going into labour:
I started getting mild pains on Thursday 23rd April (39 weeks pregnant) and these went on for a couple of days, i had assumed they were just Braxton Hicks. By Saturday they were coming every 3 mins and lasing for about 1 minute and very very painful. My fiance Will called the hospital and they asked me to come in. The only thing that was difference was they asked if we had any Covid-19 symptoms, which we didn't. Will's parents had been self isolating for 2 weeks prior so they would be safe to come and watch Isaac while i was in labour as they were not allowing children in the hospital. I know some women have opted to give birth alone as you can't have anyone with you that doesn't live in your household. But Isaac's birth was so traumatic (Emergency C Section and several problems with the healing process) that this was the what we decided as i couldn't do it alone. But i understand why some wouldn't want to risk it. 
Hospital:
We arrived at the hospital at about 9pm, i was allowed in but Will had to wait in the car outside. I was checked over and hooked up to a trace machine. They told me i was about 3cm dilated and that i had two choices, first was the stay in hospital and when i was in active labour (which i believe is 4 or 5 cm) i would go down to the birthing suite and then my partner would be called back in. Or i could go back home and be with my partner, relax in my own home and when my contractions get closer together then come back in. I opted for the second choice, the midwife wanted me to stay in for another 30 mins while they finished the trace. When she came back i was in a lot more pain and my contractions had sped up. She checked me once more and i was in active labour. So Will was called in and met us in the birthing suite, it was about 10:30 at this point. 

Everything was the same as normal the only differences were my lovely midwife was in PPE. She had to change her gloves, mask and gown every time she left and enter the room. Also once Will had entered the building he wasn't allowed to leave. We also wasn't allowed any family and friends to visit. My labour went wonderfully, as smoothly as it could have Violet was born at 4:55am with Will present. No tearing or cuts or complications so we left about midday after a couple of checks were completed. 
After appointments:
Similar to my appointments while pregnant, only myself and Violet were been allowed to be there. They aren't doing home visits so they are done at the hospital or over the phone. Her 5 and 10 day checks were done at hospital but the rest over the phone including the health visitor talk.  


I think the hardest part is that friends and family can't come a see Violet. And we don't know when they will be able to. We've had some wonderful presents and cards left on the doorstop from them and neighbours!  
This wasn't exactly how i imagined i would do Violet's birth announcement but hopefully it is useful! Here is Isaac's birth story if anyone is interested. 

Also Violet was a VBAC (Vaginal Birth after C Section) so if anyone is due one or has any questions i'm happy to do a post as i had a really positive one. I was thinking of also doing a breastfeeding post if anyone would be interested. All the things i've learnt and little tips and tricks to make it go as smoothly as possible.

<3 
Snapchat: Perfectfixation

No comments :

Post a Comment